Winners of the 2014 Micro Test of Time Award
The Micro Test of Time (ToT) Award recognizes the most influential papers published in past Micro (Annual International Symposium on Microarchitecture) conferences that have had significant impact in the field.
The following are the 10 papers that were awarded the first Micro Test of Time Award in 2014. The Micro Test of Time (ToT) Award recognizes the most influential papers published in past Micro (Annual International Symposium on Microarchitecture) conferences that have had significant impact in the field.
These 10 papers are selected from among all the 544 papers published in the first 25 Micro conferences that were held between 1968 and 1992 (inclusive).A short article describing the awards and the selection process will be published in the next issue of the IEEE Micro technical magazine. Retrospectives of most of these papers will be published in upcoming issues of IEEE Micro.
Congratulations to the winning papers and authors. We look forward to the community's nominations for the 2015 Micro ToT Award: http://www.microarch.org/Micro-ToT-Award/Micro-ToT-Award-Call-for-Nominations-2015.htm
Implementation of A Single Chip Microprocessor," authored by Skip
Stritter and Nick Tredennick. Published in MICRO 1978.
2. "Some Scheduling Techniques and An Easily Schedulable Horizontal Architecture for High Performance Scientific Computing," authored by B. Ramakrishna Rau and C. D. Glaeser. Published in MICRO1981.
3. "MIPS: A Microprocessor Architecture," authored by John Hennessy, Norman Jouppi, Steven Przybylski, Christopher Rowen, Thomas Gross, Forest Baskett, John Gill. Published in MICRO 1982.
4. "Critical Issues Regarding HPS, A High Performance Microarchitecture," authored by Yale N. Patt, Stephen W. Melvin, Wen-Mei Hwu, Michael C. Shebanow. Published in MICRO 1985.
5. "HPS, A New Microarchitecture: Rationale and Introduction," authored by Yale N. Patt, Wen-Mei Hwu, Michael Shebanow. Published in MICRO 1985.
6. "Hardware Support for Large Atomic Units in Dynamically Scheduled Machines," authored by Stephen W. Melvin, Michael C. Shebanow, Yale N. Patt. Published in MICRO 1988.
7. "Two-Level Adaptive Training Branch Prediction," authored by Tse-Yu Yeh, Yale N. Patt. Published in MICRO 1991.
8. "Effective Compiler Support For Predicated Execution Using the Hyperblock," Scott A. Mahlke, David C. Lin, William Y. Chen, Richard E. Hank, Roger A. Bringmann. Published in MICRO 1992.
9. "Code Generation Schema for Modulo Scheduled Loops," authored by B. Ramakrishna Rau, Michael S. Schlansker, P. P. Tirumalai. Published in MICRO 1992.
10. "Executing Compressed Programs on An Embedded RISC Architecture," authored by Andrew Wolfe, Alex Chanin. Published in MICRO 1992.
The Micro Test of Time Award Committee
Rich Belgard (Chair), Pradip Bose, Bill Mangione-Smith, Onur Mutlu, Uri Weiser